Saturday, August 6, 2011

one year

A year ago today Chantz committed suicide.

suicide.

What an ugly word.
For a while, I coulnd't even bring myself to say it.

One moment you were there...and the second, you were just..gone.
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. I was the last person to see you and hear your voice, and if I had just known that that was the last time I'd ever hear it, I wouldn't have gotten off the phone. I would've told you I loved you so much, more than you knew. That you needed to be here. That I'd never recover or be happy about the fact that you didn't exist anymore. You were my Chantz...

So for whoever reads this, please don't hold back on showing those you love just how much they mean to you. Don't be afraid...fear is meaningless and a deceiver. You never want to look back and regret not having loved as much as you could've.
Looking back, that's the one thing I know I dont have to regret...I told him I loved him all the time and I showed it in the best way I could, failing miserably at times of course. But I never held back, and neither did he. But if I had known, I would've spent all these years loving him and being happy instead of focusing on the most meaningless and arbitrary things at times. I hate that I know this now. I always think that if I had been the way I  am now then he'd probably be here. Again with the 'what if's'

This enitre year I've managed  to survive by living in the past and present. Im sure I've said that a lot already. In the past, I could look back and remember what I was doing a year ago with Chantz. But starting tomorrow, if I look back, I will only see me and my grief......he's really gone.
But it doesn't mean I'm alone.

A year ago today I met with one of my best friends for coffee because he had come to Fort Worth from Austin. We talked about how I was really excited to move in with Chantz the next day. And how we were both happier than ever before. That Chantz's last day at his internship was that day and things were working out just fine. I remember that I was going to buy a dresser and getting Chantz's help to load it later that evening. I remember it was a really pretty day, not as infernally hot as today, and then it started pouring. The apocalypse kind that lasted till around ten at night. I remember stressing out over last minute things. Over money. Over my mother. I remember what I was wearing, what you looked like, the last time we kissed, not knowing it would be the last. It was just a simple kiss, like we had done it a thousand times and were used to it. It was sweet, but if I had known it was the last how I would've made it last longer. I would've looked at every little feature to make sure that the faulty camera in my mind would never forget anything about you. Even though I didn't know that...I still remember every detail. Of the night as well. From the simple and beautiful to the most horrific thing I've ever seen in my life. Things I wish I could erase from my mind will always be there. The good with the bad. It's how it goes.

On August 7th, I was in shock.
I woke up after a few hours of medicated sleep. I remember I had a dream that Chantz and I broke up, and in the dream that was the worst thing that could happen. It was such a heartbreaking dream. When I woke up I was so happy that it had been just a dream and I was back in real life, and for the life of me I couldnt remember the night before...the garage, his body, the police, the hospital..
I grabbed my phone and I had messages from various people giving me their condolences and saying they were there if I needed anything...then I remembered. It didn't feel real, it wasnt real. And how did they already know about this fictional event? How did word get out?
How could people know about something that wasn't even true?

I remember smoking about 6 packs of cigarettes that weekend. and drinking arizona tea. Stephanie brought me a ridiculous amount of homemade Mac & Cheese that I couldn't eat. I remember thinking that if I was hungry then it meant that I didn't care about the situation, so I wouldn't eat. I remember Caroline was still in California, the one person that I wanted to see the most. I remember Iris calling saying she was on her way, the one person I didn't expect that from. I remember looking at a picture of Chantz at all times as if I would forget him if I stopped looking at him for a second. I remember I looked like crap, and didn't shower. I remember an old bible study teacher showing up and wanting to read the bible, and me saying no. I remember the look of hurt surprise on his face when I told him that Chantz didn't even believe in god.
I got a lot of flowers that weekend, it was a really nice gesture, but I still don't get why people get flowers when people die..is it because they just dont know what else to do? Why dont people give flowers for no reason at all except just to brighter their day? That would be nice.
I think I will go buy myself some flowers this week, Chantz got me daisies all the time. He was the only one who got me the burnt orangey red kind and I've refused to get those or any flower for that matter since. 
I stopped doing a lot of things because then it would mean that said things weren't done last with Chantz.
You kind of stop living that way...

This past year people have asked me if I've heard about this or that on the news...about celebrity gossip, politics, new wars, etc....and no..I haven't heard about any of these things.
I don't expect people to remember every second of every day as to what happened in my life, but unfortunately when your world is turned upside down, you don't really hear about anything else that's going on in the world around you. I feel like for a while now I've been having to play catch up about the world and existence around us.

It's been a year filled with:

shock
non-stop sleep
denial
conspiracy theories
rage
panic
tears
drugs
alcohol
friends
hate
guilt
guilt
guilt guilt guilt
fear
nightmares
meds
doubts
therapy
hauntings
carelessness
rebirth
traveling
new----everything
longing
aching
sobbing
writing
music
dejection
insomnia
searching
waiting
talking
and talking some more
a new vision
loneliness
fearlessness
an abundance of love
confusion
repetition
unanswered questions
escaping
exhaustion
rejection
loss


and
acceptance.

It's been the longest and most painful year of my life.
And I share because I would like people to know who he was, what he meant to me, and hopefully to help in any way I can in preventing from this happening to someone else.
I used to hate the fact that it seemed like this was another lesson I had to learn. It's like he was reduced to that. But that's not true either...I can learn from this but it doesn't take away from the fact that he was a person, with passions, a history, life, love, demons, quirks, habits, flaws, dreams, etc. just because he's not anymore. He was flesh and blood. Not a concept to learn from.

If you can inspire, then do it.

A few months after Chantz's death a friend asked me if someone asked me what I had gotten/learned from the entire situation what I would say. I told her "nothing."
It was the truth.

Now a year later I have a different response:

I would say to love. love love love love love. That it's okay that I ache for Chantz and miss him, and that I let myself do it every time it happens. But then I send all that love his way and let it go. You can't spend your life not living just because someone's left this world.
I would say (this I came to last night) to not spend your love and life on the dead, but on the living. I still love you, and always will. But I know that I've spent the majority of this year not loving the people who I can still show love to. I would say that I'm still getting used to seeing with these new eyes, but that I see what's important in this existence and I am so very happy about that. I would say that I didn't think there was much death around me, then I experienced it myself. Now I see death everywhere. It's not that I look for it, but my eyes have been opened to something that's always been there. As morbid as that may sound, it just reminds me that even in that we're not alone. And it's even more of a reminder to LIVE as much as you can. I would say that I've made incredible progress in just the last couple of months and I am amazed and SO happy about that. I would say that happy days are more than possible. And that moving forward is not a betrayal or a dishonor to him. To expect the unexpected and don't be surprised when you find yourself bawling your eyes out in a public setting because you saw something that reminded you of that person. Meaning, that it never goes away. You just learn how to walk with it. I would  say there is not a wrong way to grieve and to own it and go through every process. Don't let others define it for you, because they are more than likely trying to make themselves feel comfortable about the situation instead of trying to help. To not expect to be "over it" or to answer the questions that don't make sense...but that VERY slowly but surely, you accept that those questions wont ever be answered. That eventually you do stop crying every day, even if it's eight months down the road. I would say that the world is still a wonderful place, and that there are many who are willing to carry you and drag you so you don't stay behind. Those people are more than worth investing in.


Just one year. It feels like a lifetime...I'm not who I used to be. The world has changed and it keeps changing every minute. Yet, it's been only a year.
I miss you, and I still Wish You Were Here
One of our favorite songs...I remember the last time you played it for me last July. I remember my host sister playing it when I was in Spain and how much it made me miss you. I remember hearing it on my way to the airport this past December and thinking it was your way of talking to me.
I never thought those words would become an anthem to my soul. That I would sincerely know the depth those four words can mean.
I love you sweet Chantz.

Today,
I am up and downm and missing you so much..but unlike last year, I am in reality. Not in shock.I am reminded that people are beautiful. So many have let me know that they're keeping me in their thoughts and they've been extremely kind to me. My loving grandparents took me and Iris out to lunch and it was really nice to be around people I love and to have that support system. Right now I am in a place that makes my soul feel happy...ie, book shop. I originally planned to stay in bed all day, but I realize that I should always get back up, and do something that would make you happy, and spend this day on loving and remembering you, having some time to myself and end it by sharing it with people I love. Can you see? After so long, I'm trying.
For you. For me. For life.

Someone told me "You have made it through the first year and that is something to be proud of. I could only imagine that Chantz is proud of you."
I hope so.


love
you.

5 comments:

  1. The pain of losing Chantz will be there and may never subside, I wish I could take that pain away from you and take it to a place where you would never see it again, but I can't.
    I wish I had words to say that would make you feel better, but I don't.
    People in our lives mean well and they just do what they think is right.
    We simply hold on to them because we never know just what we will get from them (Mostly good stuff)I remember My losses as if they were yesterday, the only thing that keeps me going in life are those that do something so amazing that you can't help but do a double take and smile.
    I hold on to the fact that I am not alone in this world and people do care, not just for me but for others around them.
    The world isn't perfect but it is the best we have and if we work hard this world will improve, we go through changes all the time.
    I am glad that I met you Veronica, life has been extremely hard on you, but you managed to hang on to your kindness, love and respect for others, and you ability to try and seek out that which is fun.
    Death tends to rob us of those good features in our lives, and you held onto it.
    I am proud of what you have accomplished so far and I have no doubts that you will continue to make better and newer accomplishments.
    I just hope that my comment is being helpful and not hurtful to you, because I would never intentionally hurt anyone.
    I hope that this next year is a better year.
    Until next time I leave my love for you as a friend.
    Keep your head up, because you won't see the obstacles in front of you if you are looking somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing it Ronnie. We're picking ourselves up every day and reapplying ourselves to life. There is beauty in the breakdown, but we can't see it until we've crossed the valley and viewed our distance. I'm so happy for you and with you. Let's make this next year one which would make him proud of us.

    I love you.
    P.S. You are an AWESOME writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog as often as I can. As I always tell you, I know that you were the best thing that ever happened to his life. I had never seen him happier than when he was with you. You are such a strong soul- and I am so proud of you. I don't know if I could ever be that strong. Your words inspire me every day.. I can only imagine how many other people as well. Thank you for your gift.. and I know he is proud of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have inspired me, inspired me to stay alive, I want to make that promise to you to stay alive and enjoy life, and life isn't just me, but all of us together. I was thinking about it one day and after reading this, I cried and couldn't believe what was going on in my head.
    I was lost somewhere in my head, darkness set in and your words helped me to realize that I would lose out on good things.
    After I changed my mind, my life improved. I became happier, people started to see me differently, and that was because I did change.
    Thank You Veronica for sharing your story with us, I hope you will continue to share with us.
    It brought me out of a very dark place. I will always hold a deep loving respect for you, I also believe you are going to do something else that will change this world, if not the world, another person stuck in darkness such as myself.
    I AM VERY PROUD TO KNOW YOU...
    Thank you so much for being a wonderful woman. And thank you for allowing me to be your friend.
    I have other things that I feel but could never find the words to say that would correctly describe them. And to me Thank you just doesn't seem enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we were friends. I don't really know you, but I've been keeping up with this blog since April. I've read every single one of your posts. You have amazing storytelling skills and are a terrific writer. Your words come out so clear, probably because of the emotions that your experience has drawn from you. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry for the world's loss in a great guy named Chantz.

    ReplyDelete